Where a person has lost their mental capacity to make decisions on their own behalf and can no longer grant a Power of Attorney, family members may encounter difficulties in dealing with their financial affairs or personal welfare (eg, arranging a care home or giving consent to medical treatment). In these circumstances, an application has to be made to the Court for a Guardianship Order.

We at Jain, Neil and Ruddy are one of a few firms who deal with applications for Guardianships under the Adults with Incapacity legislation and have developed a strong expertise in these matters.

A Guardianship Order will allow you to make the important decisions required on behalf of the incapacitated adult. We recognise that the decision to apply for a Guardianship Order is not an easy one. However if such an order is obtained this will enable you to safeguard and protect the interests of the adult who has lost the capacity to make decisions for themselves. We will work hard ensure your and your loved one’s interests are represented at every stage.

It is important to note that Legal Aid is available for all Guardianship Orders which involve the welfare of the adult.

Please contact us for a no obligation discussion as to whether a guardianship order is suitable in your particular circumstances.